Previous Next Table of Contents
This is an ancient document To get the current version, consider visiting the Swarm Online Faq, which parallels this document, but is massive more cool and way more updated!
Feb. 17, 2000
v0.7, April 3, 1998
This Unix subsection deals with these questions:
1. Are you expecting me to be a Unix expert to use Swarm?
2. I want to know more about those commands. What do I do?
3. I'm trying to compile a program and the compiler can't find a file. What do I do? Where is that file?
4. I need to find a few lines in a massive pile of output that runs up the screen. How?
5. My simulation dumps a lot of labels and data into several files. How can I extract the data I want to import into a spreadsheet/plotting package?
6. My fingers ache from typing long commands and I can't remember all that crap. What can I do about it?
7. I've got two files that I need to compare. What to do?
8. How can I quickly find out how many lines of code I have?
9. I downloaded a file with the tar.gz extension. How do I use it?
10. Any other interesting tar facts worth knowing?
11. I just installed a new shared library and the programs that use it say they can't find it. Unix really stinks!
12. Even after ldconfig, my program can't find a library. What's up?
2.3. Running Swarm.